IDCO (Industrial Distributor Cooperative) is the premier co-op for independent distributors serving the industrial community with hose, fittings, gaskets, rubber materials and related products.
IDCO is a prime example of how the co-op structure can be successful, proving that working cooperatively can improve purchasing power and provide a competitive advantage. IDCO members, also known as “Hosers,” provide their customers with competitive pricing and the knowledge gained through the co-ops network of experts. IDCO endorsed suppliers provide them with the products and training to do so.
Our mission is to combine our purchasing power, market knowledge and expertise to affect profitable growth for our members and endorsed suppliers.
- We help our members stay competitive and efficient
- We give our suppliers a cost effective, independent distribution network
- We work to facilitate growth and profitability for both
Our Cooperative's Core Values
- Instill trust
- Deliver on our commitments
- Adhere to the highest standards of business ethics
- Treat each other fairly; with dignity and respect
- Utilize effective collaboration to achieve our goals
- Create a friendly, open environment
- Help others multiply their effectiveness
Commitment to Continuous Improvement
- Never be satisfied- focus on constant pursuit for progress
- Maintain our passion for excellence
- Challenge the status quo
- Be open to new, innovative ideas
In 1992, Chet Conte formulated an idea to start a buying group among the top distributors in the hose and rubber industry. During that year, 13 distributors joined the group, and by the end of 1992, the decision was made to change the structure of IDCO into a member-owned business cooperative. The Industrial Distributor Co-op officially started in March of 1993, in Pensacola, FL.
Formed with the idea of leveraging volume for buying power to compete against larger chain distributors, the cooperative quickly realized that its greatest value was in its network. While attracting quality suppliers was important, co-op meetings provided members with shared ideas, best practices and industry benchmarking. This form of networking led to valuable friendships and a high degree of trust among members, which is still a trademark of IDCO today.
The original members were:
- Ed Philbeck, Interstate Industrial Supply – Columbia, SC
- Scott Corley, Dixie Rubber – Greenville SC
- Charlie Cook, Rubber & Specialty – Pensacola FL
- Curtis Spraque, Mountain Empire Rubber – Johnson City, TN
- Bud Yoder, NYCO – Souderton, PA
- Ewell Garrett, Oklahoma Rubber & Gasket – Tulsa, OK
- Rolf Czerlinski, Hampton Rubber Co. – Hampton VA
- George Carver, Catawba Rubber – Charlotte, NC
- River City Supply – Jacksonville, FL
- Bob Lyons, Tipco – Owings Mills, MD
- Mike Lentz, Rubber & Specialty – Mobile, AL
- Dick Hall, Portland Rubber Co. – Portland ME
- Charlie Brown & Stan Norton, Industrial Rubber & Safety – Augusta, GA
- Bob Jacobs, Goodyear Rubber – St. Petersburg, FL
- Phil Welch, Power Drives – Rochester, NY
IDCO currently has 66 members in the US and Canada and over 75 endorsed suppliers. IDCO members are active leaders in the industry, and its membership includes six of the last eight NAHAD Presidents. IDCO is currently celebrating its 25th successful year in business.